Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Grocery Shopping Journey


You might be wondering how I managed to write an entire post about grocery shopping, but it’s actually been a big adjustment. In a way, I feel like learning how to shop for groceries has been a microcosm of me adjusting to my new life in Austria. 

Coming to Vienna is actually my first time buying food and cooking for myself. I mean, in the US I cooked some and definitely went to the store, but I always had my mom or a meal plan to fall back on. Now it’s just me. There's a big difference between cooking once or twice a week and cooking every day. And while I’m trying to figure out how to feed myself properly, I’m also navigating an entirely new grocery shopping culture.

When I arrived, I expected some differences. I’d been to Germany last summer and seen some of the stores there. Plus, I’d written an essay about Wal-Mart’s international expansion and shopping cultures in different countries. Somehow, none of that prepared me to walk into the store and buy my own food.

One big difference is shear accessibility of stores. The joke is that there is a supermarket around every corner. Sometimes it feels like that is true. Walking out of my apartment building, you have your pick of six different stores. Penny Markt and Zeilpunkt are the closest, but they are pretty small. At the end of block is Billa. Their stores are a little bigger, with a wider selection. They even have rewards cards. Two blocks away is Hoffer. If you have ever been to Aldi, this is the same brand. They have the best selection and prices, and that’s where I go now to do most of my shopping.

Inside of Westbahnhof, there are two more stores. A small, convenience-type store that is open late and a big Merkur. The Merkur is most similar to what I am used to store-wise in the US, with the widest selection of foods. They’re a bit pricier than Hoffer for essentials, however.
 
So many options!
Checking out at the store is also different. The smaller stores don’t accept credit cards, and even at the ones that do, using a card is a great way to stand out. The way the cashier at Billa reacted the first time I pulled out my credit card was just short of a gasp. I think I branded myself as an American right there. The lines also move really fast, so if you aren’t paying attention, you’re going to get left behind. Especially since you are expected to bag your own groceries. Between putting my stuff up and trying to pay in cash, I always feel like I’m juggling.  

Bagging your own groceries also means paying for bags. Almost everyone carries reusable bags or puts stuff in their backpacks. I bought a nice plastic bag my first day here that I carry in my purse in case I buy anything while I'm out.

The last difference is one I expected, but still find strange to see played out in day-to-day life. Obviously, being in a different country means that the food selection is going to be different. I knew my Tex-Mex loving heart would have to say goodbye to tortillas and cheddar cheese, but would be rewarded with delicious, fresh bread and buffalo mozzarella.

What I didn’t expect was how difficult microwave meals would be to find. At home, I know I can heat up some spring rolls or a can of green beans in a jiffy. I’ve hardly seen a canned vegetable here, and all of the frozen food has to be heated in an oven (which I don’t have) or a skillet. I guess the pace of life is just a little slower around here. My instant meals will have to be put on hold while I take some time to savor my food.

At first I was frustrated by all of the differences. With an empty kitchen I went out to look for the American foods I thought I needed. And I started off at the smallest chains. My progress was spotty at best. I didn’t really know what to buy, and the few things I was sure I needed, I couldn’t find. Which store should I even go to?

For a while, it felt like I was doomed to bare cupboards with nothing familiar in them. For example, I wanted salad dressing, but after searching and searching at Zeilpunkt, came up empty handed. I ended up eating salads with straight garlic and mayonnaise for a few days. Plus, every time I tried to check out I held up the line and felt like a fool. Could I really make it on my own here?

 But, as time went on, I started actually planning meals, taking into account my new setting. I found stores with better selection, and suddenly I could have something different for dinner each night. And Hoffer carried cottage cheese that made a much better salad dressing than mayonnaise. I knew the differences between the stores. I could confidently decide where to buy what. I'm still slow at checking out, but I'm getting better, and I don’t feel so embarrassed anymore. I'm here, in beautiful Vienna, making it on my own. And I'm proud of that.

So, even though grocery shopping might not seem like something that will be interesting or noteworthy when moving to a new country, it has been a real journey for me. It’s not just about going to the store. It’s about learning to be on my own for the first time, adjusting to a new way of life, and experiencing a new culture. I’ve even branched out some recently, shopping at a few of the open-air markets in town. But that’s another post for another day. For now, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made.

I’ll be back with more thrilling adventures soon. :)

1 comment:

  1. Grocery shopping is an important component of our day-to-day life, although selecting the right foods can be challenging. Therefore, converting just any grocery shopping to a healthy grocery shopping is vital for someone who wants to stay healthy.


    grocery convenience

    ReplyDelete