Tuesday, June 23, 2015

So Long, Farewell


It's hard to even process five months of living in Vienna. I’ve written this post so many times, but there just isn’t a perfect way to sum up everything that has happened. There’s so much. I know that I’ve changed, but I can’t really tell how much until I’m back home. But I want to at least try to reflect on what my time here has meant to me.

It’s clear to me that coming to Vienna this semester was exactly the right choice for me. Sure, there were challenges. My Southern self had to learn how to navigate the cold. I had to say goodbye to everyone I loved and start from scratch meeting people and making friends. But this was unmistakably the place where I was supposed to be. I learned so much, not only in my classes, but also about myself.



I learned what my view of the world looks like from the outside. I used to think Texas meant football and the Lone Star State. But to people here, Texas means guns and cowboys. So many people asked me if I owned a gun, it was hilarious. Sure, I’m still a tacky American who uses her credit card too much and likes bacon with breakfast, but I am more aware now that my brand of “normal” is just one of many.


General life skills should have been on my syllabus this semester as well. When I first showed up, no one could understand my colloquialisms. But now I've learned to communicate better with people from other cultures. The time I stood at the post office desk for a good three minutes trying to mime-ask how to use a stamp should count for three hours of cross-cultural communication class.


And I can take care of myself in the big city now. The number of times I’ve gotten off at the completely wrong Ubahn station has dramatically decreased since February. I can even read the signs so I don’t spend an hour confused because I took the wrong exit out of the station. And I am quite accustomed to the strange things that might happen while on the train. Like the cat who rode the train one day, or the woman carrying a live lemon tree. So I feel like I’ve got city life under control. Which gives me confidence that no matter where I end up in life, I'll be able to make it work.


In general I feel more confident than I have before. Moving to a foreign country presents a thousand tiny challenges every day in the beginning, but now that I have overcome those, I feel like I can take on the world.


The city of Vienna itself has also been my classroom. I've learned about architecture on its streets. I've gone back in time through the palaces and museums to experience its history. And most of all Vienna has taught me about what it means to take time to enjoy life. The culture here does not encourage hustle and bustle. If something is pleasant, you should savor it. Five months ago I would have never believed that I could sit in a coffee shop for two or three hours, just sipping a drink. I had this idea that if I wasn’t busy all of the time, then I would notice how far away my friends and family were and feel lonely. But that wasn’t the case. I calmed down, and finally learned how to relax. There were definitely many times when I missed family and friends, but constant motion wasn’t the best distraction.
 
Architecture with Otto Wagner

Museum of Vienna
Sipping in style

And while I am sitting here, thinking about all of the good times I’ve had, I would be remiss if I didn’t thank all of the awesome people who made it so. You were such good friends to me during my time here. I had so much fun hanging out with you and learned so much from you. I just hope we will see each other again.


Saying goodbye is always hard. There are just no words. But I know that Vienna, and the people here, have left their mark on me. I'm going back home a different person after everything I’ve done and learned on my study abroad journey. A little more relaxed, a little more confident, and with a whole new perspective on life. So, with many thanks left unsaid, it’s time to say Auf Wiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment