Saturday, February 7, 2015

Shouldn’t You Be in School? Preparing to Go Abroad


Being back in my hometown after all of the other college students have left is an interesting experience. I’m definitely mastering the “why aren’t you in school?” conversation.  

Like when a neighbor caught me walking my dog in the middle of the day. “Why aren’t you at school?” they asked.
“I’m in college now,” was my somewhat-glib reply. It didn’t clear up their confusion. I then explained that I was studying abroad, and they start school later in Austria.

I’ve had similar encounters at Starbucks, and when my parents’ friends come to visit. It’s tempting to start making up elaborate stories about how I dropped out of school to join the circus. In the end though, that’s not as cool as spending a semester in Vienna, so I stick with the truth.

Every country, even every university, has its own start date. Some spring semesters start in January. That is when classes started at USC. In Vienna, on the other hand, classes don’t start until March. The way my new university schedules its classes is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Classes only meet five to ten times. Sometimes that is for one week, sometimes it’s every Wednesday for a month plus one random Tuesday. It was a confusing system to learn, but now I almost have put a complete schedule together.

Here’s a one-month preview. Every month looks different.

 
I can’t wait to start my new classes. All of them will be in English. There are classes offered in German too, but those aren’t designed for international students. Even on my most confident days, my German isn’t that good. I’m registered for five awesome classes to earn credit towards my two majors.

This is my only chance to take a few of these classes, since some of them, like social media marketing, aren’t offered at USC. So, I’m extra excited. Isn’t that what college is about? Geeking out about what classes you get to take?

In the meantime, I wait. I’m ironing out the final details of my time abroad: like my teeny-weeny rent problem. The housing office required rent to be paid in cash by the 5th of the month. Only problem was, on the 5th of February, I would still be in Texas. After getting no response to my first email, I started to panic a little. It wasn’t like I could pick up the phone and call. To make matters worse, the offices closed at noon. That is 5 am central time. So, I set two alarms, one for 2:30 am and one for 4:30 am.

When your alarm goes off at 2:30 am, it takes a moment to remember that it is not a fire alarm. Once that panic-inducing moment was over, I checked my email. The housing office had answered some of my questions. After another moment of sheer panic at 4:30 am, I learned that the housing office in Austria only employs the nicest people. They said they made a note of when I was arriving and would waive my late fee. My early morning email conversations had paid off!  

There’s only ten days until I leave. I can hardly believe it! I should probably start packing. I’ll check in with an update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment