Friday, February 20, 2015

Wilkommen to Wien


I made it! I’m in Vienna! My flights went well, and I made it into my apartment without breaking into tears. My apartment is amazing! It is much roomier than I imagined it would be. I have a bedroom and bathroom all to myself. There is a coat area in my room and a closet with way more space than it looks. That, or I really didn’t bring that many outfits. The room also came with a TV, which has a few German channels.


One of the best features is the dish box, though. It is a box with all of the dishes you might need when starting to cook for yourself. There are plates, and silverware, and pots and pans, even a bread knife! I’m really glad I don’t have to worry about buying a bunch of dishes now. 

The kitchen is pretty standard, although there is no oven. There is, however, an electric kettle, which warms my tea-loving heart.


Our building is right next to the Westbahnhof, a big train station for this side of town. That’s good news for me, because it means I only have to walk a few yards and I can get pretty much anywhere I want to go. The station is big enough that it also has a bunch of shops in it, which is incredibly convenient. 

My first few days have mostly been filled with running errands. There were lots of papers to sign and ID cards to get. Not to mention all of the groceries and essentials I needed to buy. But I did get to spend a good deal of time getting acquainted with my new campus. Opened just last year, the new campus is beautiful. It covers an area of about two city blocks and has six unique buildings. Each one was designed by a different architect. You can find out more about the architecture here. The overall feel is very modern, but a little whimsical. I am enjoying the campus a lot, and can’t wait to study there. I’ve heard the Mensa (cafeteria) is great too.






This weekend I’m jet setting off to Paris, just like my life is a movie or something. When I get back I will have a week to explore the city before classes start. So look for more exciting updates soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment